Dangerous to Know (Unbroken Heroes #1)

Dangerous to know

Author: Dawn Ryder
Published: March 1, 2016
Pages: 320

Stars: 1 out of 5
Other reviews: Goodreads

A bad-boy member of an elite Special Ops team, Mercer has never been assigned an undercover mission he couldn’t complete. But when his latest job requires him to gain the trust-and get into the bed-of his newest target, the sexy, fiery colonel’s daughter, he has a whole new challenge ahead of him. All evidence points to her being a traitor to the country he’s sworn to protect, but the crackling desire between them is too strong a feeling to ignore…

Zoe has always kept her secrets close to the vest. The only woman in a decorated military family, she’s been taught that to let someone close is to flirt with disaster. But when the dangerously handsome, alpha-strong Mercer comes blazing into her life full-speed, it’s all Zoe can do to resist his wicked seduction. As danger circles closer, Zoe must decide if she can trust him to protect her-but there’s no way he could be bad when he makes her feel this good…

I’m sorry but I really didn’t like this book. Right from the start, this book introduced a lot of characters. But the author didn’t go into too much detail about them and that left me confused as to who they were, why they were introduced, and what was even happening in the book. The chapters in this book were extremely long. I believe the entire book only had eight chapters.

Zoe’s character starts off as a strong willed feminist who can take care of herself. But it doesn’t take me too long before I become annoyed with how weak she really is- mainly meaning her inability to succumb to her sexual desires. Regardless of the situation or how upset she is (should be), she easily folds on everything.
Mercer’s character was overly confident and had the bad boy thing going on. I felt like he came off more as a brute. I think the author was going for more of an alpha male, dominant kind of guy. But it didn’t really work for me.
Zoe and Mercer go back and forth about trusting each other and needing to trust each other, etc, etc. How exactly do they come to this all mighty trust? They have dominate/submissive sex. I somewhat understand what the author was getting at with this because that type of sex needs a lot of trust. But the sex itself never made it to the point where a leap of trust was needed. Or at least I didn’t think it did. And the thing that really irritates me is that after all this talk of trust and getting to trust each other, Mercer shows how much he doesn’t trust her by handcuffing himself to her. His reasoning was how he needed sleep. So I guess the trust thing was just talk after all.
What irritated me was how the team who was there to get to the bottom line, ends up treating her like enemy for most of the book. Zoe is a civilian whose brother and father are high ranked officers. But the team treats her like a soldier and expects her to respond like one. Maybe if I grew up with a military family, I might understand this book better. But to me, she accepted their treatment, even justifying it at times.
Like I said, this book just wasn’t for me. 80% of the book was sex and the other 20% a plot that wasn’t very strong. I think my review is not the norm. Looking at goodreads.com, out of 22 ratings, most gave 5 or 4 stars.

4 thoughts on “Dangerous to Know (Unbroken Heroes #1)

  1. I’m glad you reviewed this I’ve been looking at reading it and wasn’t quite sure if id like it or not

    Liked by 1 person

  2. […] Dangerous to Know (Unbroken Heroes #1) To Katie with Love  Midnight Marked (Chicagoland Vampires, #12) Fire Touched (Mercy Thompson, #9) The Undoing (Call of Crows, #2) I wish you were mine (Oxford, #2) Omega (Omega #1) The Trial Phantasma  Good Girl […]


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s